Date and place of birth: 7th January 1983, Genova (Italy)
Education and work experience
I graduated in Industrial Chemistry (cum Laude) at the University of Genova in 2007. Afterwards I achieved the Ph.D. title in Chemical Sciences from the same University in 2011, under the supervision of Porf. Giovanni C. Alfonso. The title of the Ph.D. dissertation was “Polymer structuring under processing-relevant conditions” and the related research was accomplished also during a visiting period of one year at the Polymer Technology group of the Eindhoven University of Technology (The Netherlands). After the achievement of the Ph.D., I spent five months (March-July 2011) as a post-doc researcher in Madrid (Spain) at the Institute of Polymer Science and Technology (ICTP-CSIC), applying infrared spectroscopy to polymorphic semicrystalline polymers. I was employed in another post-doc position at the Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), between September 2011 and June 2013, conducting research on mechanical properties of polymers for the Dutch Polymer Institute. Since July 2013 I am employed by the Department of Chemistry and Industrial Chemistry of the University of Genoa as Assistant Professor of Industrial Chemistry. Since 2014 I am teacher of “Laboratory of Polymeric Materials” for the course of Material Science and Engineering.
The research activity I am carrying on is mainly focused on structuring processes of semicrystalline polymers. Particular attention is paid to the correlation between molecular features (chain architecture, comonomers...) and crystallization behavior; and to polymer solidification in complex external conditions (high cooling rates, flow fields…). Next to these topics, I recently added new research lines concerning nucleation phenomena at polymer/substrate interfaces (including nucleating agents and polymorphic crystals of the same material), crystallization of bio-based polymers and structure-properties relationship in semicrystalline polymers.
- Several on-going international research collaboration, with, among others: Renè Androsch (Martin-Luther University Halle-Wittenberg, Germany); Alejandro Muller (The Basque Foundation for Science, Bilbao, Spain); Leon Govaert, Gerrit Peters (Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands).
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of the journal “Polymer Crystallization “ edited by Wiley (on-line from 2018)
- National Scientific Habilitation from the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research for the position of Associate Professor in Industrial Chemistry (from March 2017).
- Organization of three International Workshops on “Polymer Crystallization Under Conditions Relevant to Processing” ( 27-28 May 2010, 21-22 June 2012) and on “Recent advances and new perspectives in polymer crystallization” (29-30 September 2014) held in Genova (Italy) and attended by many active academic and industrial researchers.
- Frequent reviewer for international scientific journals on polymer science, among which Macromolecules, Polymer, European Polymer Journal, and several others.
- Coordinator of several Work Packages in the MSCA-H2020 RISE Project of the European Research Council “Biodest” (2018-2021).
- More than 40 Research grants for the access to synchrotron facilities in the time period 2008-2016, as main or co-proposer: from DESY (Germany), from ESRF (France), from NWO (The Netherlands).